Lawyer For Sexual Harassment Cases
Being harassed for any reason is bothersome, but being harassed at work, at school or elsewhere for sexual reasons can be demoralizing, defeating and even dangerous.
At the Law Offices of Felicia C. Curran, in Oakland, California, in the heart of Alameda County, we understand the damage that unwanted advances, sexual comments and other abuses can cause to people’s careers, reputations, and personal and emotional lives. Our managing attorney Felicia C. Curran has represented clients in Oakland and throughout the Bay Area in sexual harassment cases, including and involving:
- Oakland workplace sexual harassment: We represent victims of on-the-job sexual harassment in Oakland by bosses, co-workers, clients or customers, or in situations in which an employer tolerates and does not intervene in harassment that occurs on the job.
- Oakland sexual harassment at school: We represent students in Oakland who have been sexually harassed or sexually assaulted by other students, teachers or administrators. Sometimes, this harassment occurs in the form of “quid pro quo” —sexual harassment (see below) in which a high school teacher or college professor pressures a student for sex in exchange for a higher grade.
- Bay Area sexual harassment: Although our practice is based in Oakland, we represent victims of workplace and school harassment cases throughout the Bay Area.
- Quid pro quo sexual harassment: If you have been offered a job-related benefit in exchange for sexual favors, or you have been threatened with or subjected to job-related punishment for refusal to provide sex, we can help you pursue full and fair compensation for your losses in a quid pro quo sexual harassment case.
- Hostile work environment: We represent individuals who have been subjected to unwelcome comments, derogatory statements, jokes or references, photos, emails or other communications of a sexual nature that created an uncomfortable or threatening workplace environment.
- Retaliation: It is illegal for an employer to retaliate against an employee for resisting or refusing to participate in sexual harassment, or for reporting sexual harassment.
- LGBT sexual harassment: Many people who identify as LGBT or are gender nonconforming face sexual harassment in the workplace, which can make work — and life — feel unbearable. If you have been harassed, know that there are certain steps you can take to protect your interests, your dignity and your future.
“What should I do if I have been sexually harassed?” It’s a question we receive a lot. People feel powerless when they are the victims of sexual harassment. They feel out of control. Many don’t know what to do or whom to turn to. If you have been sexually harassed, you can turn to us. We can help you understand what to do. Knowing your options gives you power. Working closely with you, we will guide you toward the right solution.
Oakland Sexual Harassment Lawyer | No Charge Until You Win
Many employers, instead of admitting responsibility for workplace sexual harassment, defend themselves using a “nut” or “slut” approach that attempts to shift blame to the victim. Ms. Curran is familiar with these and other employer ploys, and she knows how to defeat them.
She has provided vigorous advocacy for clients in sexual harassment cases since 1994, including the published case of Meriola Gotthardt v. National Railroad Passenger Corp. (AMTRAK) 191 F.3d 1148 (9th Cir. 1999).
In the Gotthardt case, Ms. Curran and her co-counsel Howard Moore Jr. obtained a combined jury verdict/equitable relief award after jury trial for the female victim of sexually hostile work environment in the amount of $1.025 million plus attorney fees.
For more information about our record of case results, please read our Notable Case Results page.
Contact Us | Free Consultation | Law Offices Of Felicia C. Curran
Sexual harassment can happen anywhere: At the doctor’s office, when dealing with your boss, at a neighbor’s house or on the street. What is important is that we can fight to protect your rights if you have been sexually harassed in any situation.